Thursday, December 9, 2010

Book: The secret life of bees (Sue Monk Kidd) - 6


Reading this book took me about 2 months. Not because it's really bad or too vast, but it seems I don't dedicate too much time for reading, lately (since I discovered blogging..). As Manu and Sue commented on this post, I have to admit that me too spend a lot of time surfing the Internet. But, unlike the TV, on Internet you are the master; you choose what you want to see/read and it's much quality time spending. Currently I'm looking for a method to cut off  the Internet every evening around 10 PM, but I didn't find anything yet. My will seems not to be enough. Your ideas are welcomed! :-)

Back to the book: I have to admit I decided to read this book as I was attracted by its cover and title. I imagined I would become a bees expert after reading it :-)
From the first pages I felt a discomfort reading it, partly because of the too mature thinking and acting for a 14 years old girl (the narrator), partly because of the disturbing ironical style of exposing some events and partly because it doesn't have too much artistic value.
Of course it has emotional and beautiful paragraphs, as it's about a girl which lost her mom at a very young age. And some interesting facts about bees' life can be read there.

Reading this book I remembered Tolstoy's theory, which was saying something like this: **life is too short to afford reading contemporary books. Contemporary books are to be read by future generations. We should read books written centuries or at least decades ago, seriously filtered by our predecessors.**

On a scale from 1 (worst) to 10 (best) I give it a 6.

Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...